Cambodian police said that at least nine people have died and 76 have been hospitalized after drinking tainted rice wine at a funeral ceremony.
The victims began falling ill shortly after drinking the wine in western Pursat province on Tuesday, police chief Sarun Chanthy told AFP by telephone, describing symptoms including vomiting and dizziness.
Samples of the drink were still being analyzed but doctors suspected the wine "contained high levels of methanol or ethanol", he said.
Last year, at least 17 Cambodians died in eastern Kampong Cham province after drinking rice wine out of a bottle previously used for weed killer.
Cambodians often drink locally brewed rice wine, which is relatively inexpensive but can be dangerous if not mixed properly.