With Christmas just a few days away, Britons are increasingly catching their eyelids on new Christmas jumpers and glitter fragments in eyeballs-some of the most bizarre injuries ever seen over the festive period.
A casualty doctor has warned that carving the Christmas turkey while drunk or popping champagne corks could seriously damage the population's health on Christmas Day.
AdvertisementDr John Heyworth, emergency department consultant at Southampton General Hospital, said that every year around Christmas time, he attends to a host of injuries as families get together.
Some of the bizarre accidents medics have seen include- exploding Christmas tree lights, which caused small burns to eyelids and eyeballs, and zips caught on eyelids as people struggled to try on a new jumper.
Other injuries on the list are burns from the oven, older people choking on their turkey and nasty hand and limb injuries caused by people trying to get stones out of avocados - something that is becoming an increasing issue.
Many people have turned up at accident and emergency with eye injuries from poking themselves with Christmas tree branches while getting presents from under it.
Eye units commonly deal with children suffering after poking themselves or others in the eye with new toys and glitter fragments in the eye from cards or craft activities.
Dry eyes from sleeping with eyes open after excess alcohol consumption is common.
"Every Christmas without fail we see the same injuries caused by preparing and cooking the Christmas dinner," the Telegraph quoted Heyworth as saying.
"People are likely to burn themselves on the oven or cut themselves as they carve the turkey - particularly if they have been drinking alcohol.
"We will always see someone who chokes over Christmas, often the elderly. They will choke on a piece of meat because they don't chew it properly," he said.
"If people are looking after or hosting elderly people for Christmas dinner, it is important to take extra care of them. It seems like a basic thing, but someone will choke on turkey over Christmas - it happens every single year," he added.
You May Also Like