The Government has taken the following steps for effective implementation of de-addiction programmes for drug addicts;
A minimum standard has been prescribed to maintain quality of delivery;
• Community involvement is ensured to exercise effective social control and curbing of deviance;
• Modern methods of treatment is encouraged in appropriate cases and the NGOs have the full freedom to adopt multi disciplinary approach for the whole person recovery;
• A system of networking with referral service set-ups is encouraged to obtain maximum synergy;
• Publicity and propaganda is resorted to for generating awareness;
• Increasing thrust is laid on rehabilitation services for the ex-addicts;
• Funds are released in one installment;
• State Government have been given a notional allocation for attaining regional parity;
• Performance of the NGOs is reviewed through a multiple monitoring mechanism and also through periodic inspections conducted by officers of both Central and State Governments.
• The funds for a particular year are released after evaluation of performance, utilization of previous grants and the recommendation of
• Grants-in-aid Committee of the concerned State/UT exercises effective control over the NGOs through its inspection mechanism.