Researchers in Britain have issued a warning that consuming pre-packed green salads may be unhealthy as they may cause food poisoning.
The researchers said in a study that green leafy vegetables often get contaminated with bugs like salmonella and E.coli, which are implicated in food poisoning. The researchers said salads and vegetables fertilised with contaminated manure could spread the bugs around as well.
Advertisement"In their efforts to eat healthily, people are eating more salad products -- choosing to buy organic brands and also preferring the ease of pre-washed bagged salads from supermarkets -- than ever before," said lead researcher Professor Gadi Frankel. "All of these factors, together with the globalisation of the food market, mean that cases of salmonella and E.coli poisoning caused by salads are likely to rise in the future."
You May Also Like