Pets Could be Harmed by Easter Treats

by Rajshri on  April 3, 2010 at 9:18 PM General Health News
RSS Email Print This Page Comment bookmark
Font : A-A+

 Pets Could be Harmed by Easter Treats
Easter treats like chocolates and daffodils can be harmful to pets, the RSPCA has warned. The organization said that these treats could cause illness and even prove fatal for pets.

Most pet owners are unaware of their potential danger to animals. The RSPCA is also issuing information that the Easter egg is not harmful for humans, but just 50 grams may kill pets.

"The problem is that the systems of cats and dogs cannot tolerate theobromine, one of key ingredients of chocolate," RSPCA director of veterinary services Dr Anne Chester said. This theobromine triggers the release of adrenaline in animals, which could cause and range of health issues and even lead to death.

"We want everyone to enjoy the Easter break but please think carefully before you feed your pets food designed for humans - especially chocolate," Dr Chester said, adding that families can avoid this issue by placing treats out of the reach of pets.


Source: Medindia
RAS

Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
Notify me when reply is posted
I agree to the terms and conditions

News A - Z

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

News Search

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Find a Doctor

Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store

News Category

News Archive

Loading...