Parents Panic After Polio Drops Kill 2-Year-Old in Chennai

by Kathy Jones on  January 24, 2011 at 4:33 PM Indian Health News   - G J E 4
In a tragic incident, a two-year old boy in Chennai died just hours after being given polio drops, causing a minor panic among parents of other children who had also visited the polio station in the area.
 Parents Panic After Polio Drops Kill 2-Year-Old in Chennai
Parents Panic After Polio Drops Kill 2-Year-Old in Chennai

Joshua was given polio drops at an anganwadi in Padappai area on Sunday morning. His mother Dhanalakshmi said that her son was in distress just two hours after getting the drops and while she tried to rush him to the Chromepet General Hospital, the doctors there revealed that her son was brought dead.

"I gave the child milk after bringing him home. I was doing the daily chores for a while and when I got back to the child, I saw him in distress. I took him to the nearby Sai Hospital. The private hospital advised me to take him to the general hospital. My son died on the way", she said.

The news of his death spread panic among other parents in the neighborhood who took their children to the hospital to check whether they are all right. However the state's director of public health Dr RT Porkai Pandian expressed his skepticism that the polio drops were contaminated by saying that other children were given the drops from the same vial.

Source: Medindia

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like