The President of India has conferred nineteen Padma Awards for the year -2009. These awards were announced on the eve of Republic Day and their names were officially announced today. Medindia wishes to congratulate these awardees.
Doctors from Delhi like the previous years seem to be the preferred recipients (8 of the 19 or 42%) year there are eight doctors from Delhi (Dr.D.S. Rana is actually from Delhi and not Himachal) who have been felicitated. The reason for this preference is less understood but it is perhaps due to the proximity to the babus of the city. Last year it was 33% and in 2007 - 50% of the awardees belonged to the state of Delhi.
Padma Awardees 2009 in the field of Medicine
1. Prof. Jasbir Singh Bajaj- Punjab
2. Dr. Purshotam Lal-Uttar Pradesh
1. Dr. Brijendra Kumar Rao- Delhi
2. Vaidya Devendra Triguna- Delhi
3. Dr. Khalid Hameed- NRI/ PIO
1. Dr. A.K. Gupta- Maharashtra
2. Dr. Alampur Saibaba Goud- Andhra Pradesh
3. Dr. Arvind Lal- Delhi
4. Dr. Ashok K. Vaid- Delhi
5. Dr. Ashok Kumar Grover- Delhi
6. Dr. Balswarup Choubey- Maharashtra
7. Dr. D. S. Rana- Himachal Pradesh
8. Dr. Govindan Vijayaraghavan- Kerala
9. Dr. Kalyan Banerje- Delhi
10. Shri P.R. Krishna Kumar- Tamil Nadu
11. Dr. R. Sivaraaman- Tamil Nadu
12. Dr. Shaik Khader Noordeen-Tamil Nadu
13. Prof. (Dr.) Thanikachalam Sadagopan-Tamil Nadu
14. Dr. Yash Gulati- Delhi
About the Awards
According to the procedure, an 'Awards Committee' makes the final recommendations on awardees after receiving 'recommendations' from various sources like state governments / UTs, central ministries and departments and institutions of excellence, and the names have to be finally cleared by the President's office.
is India's second highest civilian honour. The Bharat Ratna, is the highest award that can be conferred by the President of India. Padma Vibhushan is awarded to recognize exceptional and distinguished service to the nation in any field, including government service.
Padma Bhushan :
is India's third highest civilian decoration, awarded by the President of India. It is awarded to recognize distinguished service of a high order to the nation, in any field.
Padma Shri (or) Padma Shree:
is an award given by the Government of India generally to Indian citizens to recognize their distinguished contribution in various spheres of activity including Arts, Education, Industry, Literature, Science, Sports, Social Service and public life. It stands fourth in the hierarchy of civilian awards after the Bharat Ratna, the Padma Vibhushan and the Padma Bhushan.
Source - Medindia