Mother of Baby P Gave Birth to Another Child While on Remand

by Gopalan on  November 14, 2008 at 11:45 AM Child Health News   - G J E 4
Mother of Baby P Gave Birth to Another Child While on Remand
The cruel end of a 17-month-old baby, dubbed Baby P, continues to generate a flurry of reports in the UK media.

The latest is that the mother of the baby gave birth to another child while on remand over the toddler's death.

The baby girl was born under police guard in March - seven months after Baby P died - and immediately taken into care. The mother is now fighting for access to the child.

The 27-year-old mother, her boyfriend and a lodger are to be sentenced next month for their involvement in the appalling death.
But a police source was quoted as saying: 'None of them appear to be worried or sorry about what happened to the baby.

'They all feel very sorry for themselves but have not shown any remorse at all. The mother thinks she will be home in time for Christmas.'

As revulsion grew at the torture and killing of the baby, the General Social Care Council (GSCC) launched an investigation into social workers who had previously handled the case.

The regulator has the power to admonish the social workers, suspend them for two years or remove them from the register altogether meaning they cannot work anywhere in the country.

The probe followed call by Children's Secretary Ed Balls for an official investigation into the failings of social services.

Rosie Varley, chairman of the GSCC, said: 'We are deeply saddened by this case and we are conducting our own preliminary inquiries to establish whether the circumstances have any bearing on the suitability of individual social workers to remain on the register.

'All registered social workers are required to meet the highest standards of care and abide by our code of practice, to which they are held accountable.'

She said the case of Baby P underlined the need for 'high quality support and training' for social workers to help reduce the risk of similar tragedies.

Councillor Liz Santry, Haringey council's cabinet member for children and young people, said : "It is a matter of the deepest sorrow that Baby P died in Haringey.

"Our priority has to be and has always been to safeguard children in our borough and as an authority we were all devastated by the death of this child."

But the council's children's services director Sharon Shoesmith has defiantly announced she will not resign over the scandal, and insisted that none of the social workers or health visitors who missed the child's horrific injuries would lose their jobs.

She insisted Haringey was not at fault over the death, and said a review of the council's conduct had cleared it of blame.

But the investigation into the death was ordered by the Local Safeguarding Children Board - which Mrs Shoesmith chairs.

Sources have revealed that detectives initially refused to sign off the review because it made no criticism of Haringey.

And leaked documents revealed that Mrs Shoesmith refused a review of social services six months after the death of Baby P.

But after a row in the House of Commons, Children's Secretary Ed Balls said another review into Haringey's children's services would be conducted jointly by Ofsted, the Commission for Healthcare Audit and Inspection and the Chief Inspector of Constabulary.

Ofsted is the Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills, set up last year to inspect and regulate care for children and young people and also inspect education and training for learners of all ages.

Source: Medindia

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

View All