An undergraduate medical student has died after nasal surgery in a government hospital in southern India. Her family suspects it could be a case of overuse of anaesthetics.
Asha Das, a third-year dental course student died Wednesday at the Government Medical College Hospital, Thrissur in the state of Kerala.
Earlier she had undergone a surgery for removal of nasal polyps.
The polyps result from chronic inflammation in the lining of the nose, but just what triggers the inflammation isn't always clear. Although nasal polyps can affect anyone, they're more common in people older than 40 and in adults and children with conditions such as asthma, chronic sinus infections, hay fever and cystic fibrosis.
Medications are the most common treatment for small nasal polyps. Surgery may be needed to remove larger growths, but polyps frequently return.
Asha Das was taken into the operating room around 10 a.m. Doctors said she died of cardiac arrest around 3 p.m.
The girl's relatives alleged that she died of complications from an overdose of anaesthetic.
Based on their complaint, the Peramangalam police registered a case.
A post-mortem examination would be performed on Thursday.
Superintendent of Police M.P. Dinesh said the case would be investigated by the Kunnamkulam Deputy Superintendent of Police.
Praveel Lal, Principal, Thrissur Government Medical College, said the hospital would consider ordering an inquiry only after perusing the post-mortem result.
"Contraindications to anaesthetic are known in medical history, but rare. I cannot comment on the cause of death till the post-mortem is performed," he added.