The World Health Organisation on Wednesday urged medical aid agencies to stay in Haiti as long as possible while health care is rebuilt following last month's devastating earthquake.
"Our concern is to ask the biggest partners to leave aid there as long as possible, at least six months," said Henriette Chamouillet, the WHO's representative in Haiti.
"It's absolutely necessary because we have to replace the hospitals which won't work," she told journalists in Geneva.
The majority of medical facilities in the capital Port-au-Prince and the surrounding southern area were destroyed or damaged in the magnitude 7.0 quake on January 12, which killed some 217,000 people and injured 300,000.
Chamouillet said it would take several months for the least damaged hospitals to reopen.
Foreign medical teams were also needed to boost health care in other parts of the country, after some 500,000 people sought shelter outside the capital, she added.