Medindia

X

Limerick Resident Wins €7.5m in Damages from Pet Shop

by Kathy Jones on  July 1, 2011 at 9:18 PM Medico Legal News   - G J E 4
A Limerick resident suffering from brain damage settled her case with a pet company for more than €7.5m after claiming that she got the rare brain disease from the parrots in the pet shop.
 Limerick Resident Wins €7.5m in Damages from Pet Shop
Limerick Resident Wins €7.5m in Damages from Pet Shop
Advertisement

Patricia Ingle, 22, who is paralyzed and suffering from brain damage, said that her condition was caused after inhaling dust from parrot feces in the shop. She is currently dependent on ventilator and is tube fed.

Advertisement
Ingle filed a lawsuit against the pet shop, its parent company O'Keeffes of Kilkenny Ltd, and the HSE, alleging that they had not warned her about the dangers of working in a pet shop nor was she given any health and safety training.

Ingle revealed that she caught the disease back in 2008 after inhaling airborne feces dust of the parrots that were suffering from a condition known as chlamydia psittacosis which can be transmitted to humans.

Ingle settled the case with the company, according to which she will be paid a lump sum of €3m while the rest will be structured for her future care in line with the new legislation that is due to come in force.

Source: Medindia
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All