Irresponsible Parenting Led to Sudden Death of 3-month Old Baby

by Savitha C Muppala on  October 18, 2011 at 8:55 PM Child Health News   - G J E 4
On June 26th last year, a three month old baby was found dead sleeping between his parent's heads at their Hastings home.
 Irresponsible Parenting Led to Sudden Death of 3-month Old Baby
Irresponsible Parenting Led to Sudden Death of 3-month Old Baby

'Baby N' was born prematurely. He should have ideally been placed in a cot with his face up as per the guidelines issued to the parents from the hospital. Experts feel that the baby could have died of "accidental asphyxiation."

The mother saw her baby at 3 am next to her on the fateful day; later when she woke up at 7 am, the baby was dead beside her.

There were no medical reasons behind the death of the baby, as per the pathologist report, yet ††the baby's premature birth and size was itself a risk factor.

The baby was just 785 gms at birth , elevating the risk of infant apnoea. Apparently, the parents were advised to fit an apnoea monitor on the child regularly. A device was also issued to the baby by the hospital. The parents did not heed this instruction as the monitor was not found on the baby during the incident.

Further, the parents smoked regularly despite being aware of the complications of second-hand smoke and sudden infant death.

The mother had also smoked infrequently during her pregnancy, which may have contributed to certain health risks in the child.††

Source: Medindia

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions
These parents were certainly an easy target for your post. Great shot from point blank range.
Brandon Tuesday, October 18, 2011

You May Also Like

View All