MOHAN (Multi Organ Harvesting Aid Network) Foundation has organized a function for honoring of Organ Donor Families at Raj Bhavan on 7th of June 2007.
Organ donation is the most selfless gift that one human being can give to another. Since 1994 in India almost twelve hundred transplants of kidneys, heart, liver have taken place in various parts of the country. These donations take place after declaration of brain death by specialists. MOHAN Foundation has been a facilitating network for some of these donations in Chennai and Hyderabad. Their counselors have often been called to speak to the families to convince them to opt for the organ donation option in their moment of grief.
There is huge gap between organ demand and organs that are available for transplants. In India most of the donations take place from living persons where as in the western world donations from brain dead patients tends to bridge the gap. Support for the organ donation movement in India is urgently needed if we wish to help patients who are critically ill and require an urgent transplant.
The highlight of the function includes the following:
1. Almost sixty members from fifteen Families of the organ donors have consented to participate in the function.
2. Some of the families have donated all the organs of their loved ones that include - eyes, heart, lungs, liver, and kidneys after declaration of Brain death.
3. His Excellency the Governor of Tamil Nadu Shri Surjit Singhji Barnanla would be the chief guest to honor the family members.
4. Hon'ble Minister of Social Welfare Smt.Poongothai, presiding over the function and will take an organ pledge supporting the cause of organ donation
5. Ms.Kanmozhi, a special invitee at the function will be taking an organ pledge supporting the noble cause of organ donation
6. Secretary for Health and Family Welfare Mr.Subbaraj will address the audience
Publications of MOHAN Foundation on 'Diet for Kidney Failure' patients (By Ms.Rajeswari), a collection of articles in Tamil on organ donation (By Dr.Ramakishnan) and Indian Transplant Newsletter the 24th issue will be released during the function.
Many illustrious luminaries will join the function to pay tribute to the organ donors and their family members. This is the sixth such function organized by MOHAN Foundation since 1999. It has done similar three functions at Hyderabad and Christian Medical Collge Hospital, Vellore in the past. MOHAN Foundation is an NGO that was established in 1997 and has also been recently granted 100% Tax exemption to facilitate organ donation in India.