Holiday-makers Put Off by Algae

by Rathi Manohar on  January 27, 2011 at 9:29 PM Environmental Health
RSS Email Print This Page Comment bookmark
Font : A-A+

Lake Eildon and Lake Eppalock in Victoria, Australia visited by holiday-makers every year have potentially toxic blue-green algae which have reached high alert levels.
 Holiday-makers Put Off by Algae
Holiday-makers Put Off by Algae

Goulburn-Murray Water, managing water storage, delivery and drainage systems in Victoria, has warned people to stay out of the water. Contact with algae can result in skin irritation, sore eyes, ears and nose, and nausea and vomiting if water is ingested.

 Andrew Reynolds, acting infrastructure general manager at Lake Eppalock, stated, "Generally warmer weather and high nutrient levels will lead to blooms. Current inflows will have washed a lot of nutrients into the water and it has been warmer."

Till the levels of algae go down holiday makers have been warned not to swim, water-ski or eat the fish. Water users at Lake Eppalock have been urged to seek an alternative water supply for stock-watering and domestic use.  

Accommodation providers have had to face some cancellations, but they don't seem to be unduly worried.  

Andrew Reynolds gives the assurance, "We continue to monitor levels and when they drop below levels that are hazardous we will issue a notice letting people know it's safe again."



Source: Medindia

Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
Notify me when reply is posted
I agree to the terms and conditions

News A - Z

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

News Search

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Find a Doctor
Advertisement

Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store

Facebook

News Category

News Archive