Gas Leak in Jamshedpur Creates breathing problems for Hundreds

by Hannah Punitha on  May 28, 2008 at 7:32 PM Environmental Health   - G J E 4
 Gas Leak in Jamshedpur Creates breathing problems for Hundreds
At least one hundred people suffered breathing problems following Chlorine gas leak from a water filter plant at the Tata Engineering and Locomotives Company (TELCO) factory in Jamshedpur.

Scores of patients were admitted to a local hospital after being exposed to poisonous gas from the factory.

Workers complained of itching in the eyes and throat, vomiting and difficulty in breathing.

"I heard that there was gas leakage. And whosever have unintentionally inhaled the gas are facing problems such as throat is burning, itching in eyes, and many are feeling like vomiting," said Suman Mahato, local lawmaker.

The gas leakage began from the water filter plant and later spread across the entire area.

"I am not able to breathe properly. I feel like vomiting. It feels like one will faint after inhaling this gas. Many fainted as well who have been admitted in the hospital for treatment," said Rajesh, a worker.

The surrounding areas were evacuated as a precautionary measure. Company officials said the gas leakage has been plugged.

Source: ANI

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

View All