Food poisoning caused about 400 people in and near Delhi to be hospitalized, after they had eaten contaminated buckwheat (kuttu atta).
The people were admitted in hospitals with complaints of vomiting, stomach ache, diarrhea, and dizziness.
Some individuals were detained by the police for questioning and the state health department has ordered an investigation. Police said they have registered a case against Nandu Masala Mill, owned by Nand Kishore. "The District Administration and emergency services had been alerted and teams of Food and Adulteration Department have also been put in service," said Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat. The Food and Drug Authority in Uttar Pradesh has started to raid suspect places and take away the responsible men.
A K Walia, the Health Minister in Delhi, has ordered a probe into the matter and has urged for more power for the Food Adulteration Act so that maximum punishment of life imprisonment and a penalty of up to Rs 10 lakh for those involved in such illegal activities can be meted out.