Raipur, Six tribals, including three women, died of suspected food poisoning in Chhattisgarh's Kawardha district and 25 were taken ill after consuming wild mushrooms, officials said Saturday.
All the victims belonged to the Baiga tribal community, which is on the verge of extinction in the state, in Gabhora village, over 280 km from here.
'District Collector Sonmoni Vora has ordered for a magisterial inquiry into the matter and a team of doctors was rushed to the village where about two dozens more Baigas were reported to be ill,' a health department official told IANS.
Though the six tribals died Tuesday, authorities learnt about their deaths only late Friday as Gabhora is located in a hilly region and largely inaccessible by road.
The doctors sent to the village Saturday examined those who have been ill and vomiting since Tuesday.