Medindia

X

Discarded Cigarette Blows Up £6million Stately Home!

by Hannah Punitha on  January 11, 2009 at 4:29 PM Lifestyle News   - G J E 4
 Discarded Cigarette Blows Up £6million Stately Home!
A discarded cigarette caused a blaze leading to 6 million pounds of damage to a stately home.

An official report has accused a plumber for dropping the cigarette during a fag break, which gutted Grade II listed Moreton Hall last March.
Advertisement

The plumber was in the team doing maintenance checks in the roof of the Edwardian mansion, which is now part of an agricultural college.

Advertisement
"The lad is very upset. He has admitted dropping the cigarette, but there is no proof that it started the fire," the Mirror quoted Paul Lockyer, managing director of the Magna Heating Company, based in Warwick, as saying.

"There were other people, including students, around at the time. The truth is we will never know for sure what caused the fire," he added.

Ian Tonner of Warwickshire Fire Service confirmed that it was an accident.

"A worker had gone on to the roof for a cigarette. He dropped it down a hole he thought was a drain pipe - it was a hole in the roof," he said.

The fire destroyed the roof and the lavish interior, including oak panelled walls.

Restoration work is due to be completed next year.



Source: ANI
SPH
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All