Liquid detergent capsules could prove to be harmful for children and should be kept away in a safe place according to a new report published in the British Medical Journal.
Children are naturally attracted to the detergent capsules' bright colors and often play with them. However a number of leading ophthalmologists warn that when the capsules break, they release a harmful alkaline solution which often leads to scarring in the eye or, in some cases complete blindness.
AdvertisementDr Melanie Corbett, who is the lead author of the study, said that if a child comes in contact with the solution, it should be immediately washed with large quantities of water in order to negate the harmful effects.
"Parents must keep liquid detergent capsules out of children's reach - their contents can cause irreversible damage to the eye. If any chemical enters your child's eye, you should wash it out immediately, with large quantities of water", she said.