Eating Christmas leftovers can be very harmful for your health, an Australian microbiologist has warned ahead of the festivities over the weekend.
Professor Bill Rawlinson is actively sending out his warning to a number of people and making them aware that while the leftovers from the Christmas meal looks edible, they are a fertile place for active breeding of harmful bugs unless they are stored carefully.
AdvertisementNot refrigerating your turkey or chicken would make them warm enough for a number of harmful bacteria to breed which in turn makes the food dangerous when consumed.
"There are many examples of outbreaks such as noroviruses causing diarrhoea and vomiting from foods as simple as lettuce and soup. Spread between people can also occur, so washing hands is as important as ever. The last thing a family needs is a dose of gastroenteritis when they are meant to be celebrating", he added.