Medindia

X

Chinese Official Says Intestinal Virus Under Control for Now

by Rajshri on  May 2, 2008 at 5:36 PM General Health News   - G J E 4
Chinese Official Says Intestinal Virus Under Control for Now
The intestinal virus Enterovirus 71 (EV71), which has so far killed 20 children and infected more than 1,800 others in China was under control for now but will "probably continue spreading," a Chinese health official has warned.
Advertisement

Chen Xianyi, an official from the Ministry of Health in charge of emergency response, said that though no new fatalities from the virus had occurred in the past five days, the number of children affected has increased to 1,884.

Advertisement
"The disease will probably continue spreading in the next two or three months as it is a prime period for epidemics," the China Daily quoted Xianyi as saying during a news conference.

The infection starts with a slight fever followed by blisters and ulcers in the mouth and on the hands and feet.

It can cause high fever, meningitis, encephalitis, pulmonary oedema, and paralysis in children.

The Anhui provincial health bureau said that about 540 hospitalised children affected by the outbreak in Fuyang were in stable condition, and recovering well.

Source: ANI
RAS/L
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All

More News on: