Bucharest Hospital Officials Sacked After Infections, Comas

by VR Sreeraman on  April 27, 2010 at 4:24 PM Hospital News   - G J E 4
Romanian authorities have sacked five managers at a Bucharest hospital and closed two departments after two patients developed infections and went into coma following minor operations, officials said Monday.
 Bucharest Hospital Officials Sacked After Infections, Comas
Bucharest Hospital Officials Sacked After Infections, Comas

Two women, in their thirties and in good health, were admitted to the obstetrics-gynaecology department at the ministry of transport's CFR hospital on April 19 but by Friday both had fallen into a coma due to major infection.

"What's certain is that the patients contracted the infection following medical action undertaken in the hospital," the health ministry said in a statement.

The ministry has launched an enquiry which will also look at the cases of around 10 other patients who were transferred from the CFR to other hospitals in recent weeks after their condition deteriorated, a spokeswoman said.

The ministry of transport said that both the obstetrics-gynaecology and maternity departments had been closed pending its own enquiry, and the hospital's manager and four heads of department sacked.

Most Romanian hospitals do not respect hygiene norms, according to the head of the Romanian doctors association, Vasile Astarastoaie.

Source: AFP

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

View All

More News on: