Medindia

X

Australians Exposed to Hendra Virus

by Sheela Philomena on  July 1, 2011 at 10:10 AM General Health News   - G J E 4
Eight Australians were exposed to the potentially deadly Hendra virus, which is spread to humans from horses.

They all came into contact with a horse that died from the infectious disease at Biddaddaba, in southeast Queensland, on Sunday.
 Australians Exposed to Hendra Virus
Australians Exposed to Hendra Virus
Advertisement

Acting Queensland chief health officer Aaron Groves said they were all deemed to have had "low to moderate" exposure but were given blood tests to make sure.

Advertisement
None were so far showing any active signs of the virus, which can lead to fatal respiratory illness and has killed four of the seven people who have contracted it in Australia since it was first documented in 1994.

Named after the Brisbane suburb in which is was first documented, Hendra is understood to be carried by fruit bats and spread via their urine and droppings.

The bats, which have no symptoms of disease, then pass the infection to horses, possibly via half-chewed fruit or other water or food they contaminate, and these animals then transmit it to humans.

Around 50 horses have died, or had to be euthanised, in 15 outbreaks of the virus since 1994.

Queensland chief veterinary officer Rick Symons told the Brisbane Courier-Mail newspaper that Biosecurity Queensland became aware of the case on Tuesday.

"We believe we've got any disease contained," he said.

Source: AFP
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All

More News on: