Medindia

X

A Case of Vodka Saves an Italian Tourist

by Medindia Content Team on  October 10, 2007 at 8:48 PM Alternative Medicine News   - G J E 4
A Case of Vodka  Saves an Italian Tourist
The 24-year-old man was taken to a north Queensland hospital two months ago after he swallowed a large amount of a potentially-fatal substance found in antifreeze in an apparent suicide attempt.
Advertisement

Doctors at Mackay Base Hospital decided that the best method of saving the unconscious man's life was to reverse the effect of the poison, ethylene glycol, by giving him pharmaceutical-grade alcohol.

Advertisement
In details released by the hospital, Dr Pascal Gelperowicz, who led the man's treatment with Dr Todd Fraser, said that once the hospital's alcohol supplies ran out doctors sent out for a case of vodka and the unusual drip was set up.

"We quickly used all the available vials of 100 per cent alcohol and decided the next best way to get alcohol into the man's system was by feeding him spirits through a naso-gastric tube," News.com.au quoted Dr Gelperowicz, as saying.

Dr. Fraser said the patient was given about three standard drinks an hour for three days in the intensive care unit.

"The patient was drip-fed about three standard drinks an hour for three days in the intensive care unit," Dr. Fraser said.

"The hospital's administrators were also very understanding when we explained our reasons for buying a case of vodka," he added

Source: ANI
SPH /J
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All