A rare, life-threatening skin condition that was developed as allergic reaction to drugs kept Sharmila K in the hospital for 50 days.
The 20-year-old developed toxic epidermal necrolysis after being administered injection and tablets for fever by the doctor at a private hospital. "We were told that the doctor gave her Betnesol injection," said her mother K Bala Saraswathi. The drug is a steroid which is prescribed in cases where fever persists, but in Sharmila's case it triggered severe allergy.
AdvertisementDr Anandan, head of Dermatology Department at the government Stanley hospital, said Sharmila's condition could have turned fatal leading to multiple-organ failure if treatment was delayed.
"This can happen to people suffering asthma, poor immunity and also those sensitive to certain drugs. The patient should warn their doctors about it or it may turn fatal if the drug is repeated," he added.
According to doctors, only one in a million is affected by toxic epidermal necrolysis annually. "The problem arises when the doctor is not informed about the patient's medical history or allergies.
Ten such cases of alleged medical negligence related to severe skin allergy have been brought to the notice of Indian Medical Association, since 2012, " said Dr RVS Surendran, state president of the association.
PFDA Officials Seize Tobacco Products Worth 300,000 in Nagpur, Maharashtra Measures Taken To Tackle Polio Helped Prevent Nigeria From Ebola Epidemic M
You May Also Like