After two of its participants had to be hospitalized, an Indian restaurant in Edinburgh has been forced to "tone down" its 'world's hottest chilli' competition.
Competitors who tucked into the extra-hot Kismot Killer curry were left writhing on the floor in agony, vomiting and fainting, reports the Daily Mail.
AdvertisementRestaurant boss Abdul Ali admitted he would have to 'tone down' the fiery dish, and the Scottish Ambulance Service warned him to review his event.
The challenge, an annual fundraiser for the Children's Hospice Association Scotland, was to eat as much Kismot Killer as possible, with winners receiving a certificate.
But the notoriety of the dish means entrants have to be over 18 and are required to sign a legal disclaimer absolving the owners of any responsibility in the event of an adverse reaction.
The restaurant's website describes the competition as 'not a contest to see who can eat the most, but a test of endurance against a top secret nuclear strength recipe using some of the world's hottest chillies.'
Half of the 20 people who took part in the challenge dropped out after witnessing the first 10 diners vomiting, collapsing, sweating and panting.
In previous years, the Kismot Killer dish has caused diners to suffer nosebleeds and one elderly man had to be taken to hospital.
Ali said he felt the competition had gone well, but that he had overestimated how much heat the competitors could take.
The competition raised hundreds of pounds for the Children's Hospice Association Scotland charity, Ali said.
You May Also Like