Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, protection of Rights and Full Participation), Act 1995
1. This Act may be called the Persons With Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995.
2. It extends to the whole of India except the State of Jammu and Kashmir.
3. It shall come into force on such date as the Central Government may, by notification, appoint.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,
1. "appropriate Government" means,
i. in relation to the Central Government or any establishment wholly or substantially financed by that Government, or a Cantonment Board constituted under the Cantonment Act, 1924, the Central Government;
2. "blindness" refers to a condition where a person suffers from any of the following conditions, namely:-
i. total absence of sight; or
3. "Central Coordination Committee" means the Central Coordination Committee constituted under sub-section (1) of section 3;
4. "Central Executive Committee" means the Central Coordination Committee constituted under sub-section (1) of section 9;
5. "cerebral palsy" means a group of non-progressive conditions of a person characterised by abnormal motor control posture resulting from brain insult or injuries occurring in the pre-natal, peri-natal or infant period of development;
6. "Chief Commissioner" means the Chief Commissioner appointed under sub-section (1) of section 57;
7. "Commissioner" means the Commissioner appointed under sub-section (1) of section 60;
8. "competent authority" means the authority appointed under section 50;
9. "disability" means -
2. low vision;
4. hearing impairment;
5. locomotor disability;
6. mental retardation;
7. mental illness;
10. "employer" means,
i. in relation to a Government, the authority notified by the Head of the Department in this behalf or where no such authority is notified, the Head of the Department; and
ii. in relation to an establishment, the chief executive officer of that establishment;
11. "establishment" means a corporation established by or under a Central, Provincial or State Act, or an authority or a body owned or controlled or aided by the Government or a local authority or a Government company as defined in section 617 of the Companies Act, 1956 and includes Departments of a Government;
12. "hearing impairment" means loss of sixty decibels or more in the better ear in the conversational range of frequencies;
13. "institution for persons with disabilities" means an institution for the reception, care, protection, education, training, rehabilitation or any other service of persons with disabilities;
14. "leprosy cured person" means any person who has been cured of leprosy but is suffering from -
i. loss of sensation in hands or feet as well as loss of sensation and paresis in the eye and eye-lid but with no manifest deformity;
15. "locomotor disability" means disability of the bones, joints or muscles leading to substantial restriction of the movement of the limbs or any form of cerebral palsy;
16. "medical authority" means any hospital or institution specified for the purposes of this Act by notification by the appropriate Government;
17. "mental illness" means any mental disorder other than mental retardation;
18. "mental retardation" means a condition of arrested or incomplete development of mind of a person which is specially characterised by subnormality of intelligence;
19. "notification" means a notification published in the Official Gazette;
20. "person with disability" means a person suffering from not less than forty per cent of any disability as certified by a medical authority;
21. "person with low vision" means a person with impairment of visual functioning even after treatment or standard refractive correction but who uses or is potentially capable of using vision for the planning or execution of a task with appropriate assistive device;
22. "prescribed" means prescribed by rules made under this Act;
23. "rehabilitation" refers to a process aimed at enabling persons with disabilities to reach and maintain their optimal physical, sensory, intellectual, psychiatric or social functional levels;
24. "special Employment Exchange" means any office or place established and maintained by the Government for the collection and furnishing of information, either by keeping of registers or otherwise, respecting -
1. persons who seek to engage employees from amongst the persons suffering from disabilities;
2. persons with disability who seek employment;
3. vacancies to which person with disability seeking employment may be appointed;
25. "state Coordination Committee" means the State Coordination Committee constituted under sub-section (1) of section 13;
26. "state Executive Committee" means the State Executive Committee constituted under sub-section (1) of section 19.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Sedentary lifestyle is one that has very little or no physical activity at all, whether at work or ...
Ovarian cancer refers to cancer of ovaries. It is called the "Silent killer", as it is difficult to ...
Schizoaffective disorder is a serious mental disorder in which the individual reflects symptoms ...View All