Bio-Medical Waste (Management and Handling) Rules, 1998
New Delhi, 20th July, 1998
S.O. 630 (E).-Whereas a notification in exercise of the powers conferred by Sections 6, 8 and 25 of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 (29 of 1986) was published in the Gazette vide S.O. 746 (E) dated 16 October, 1997 inviting objections from the public within 60 days from the date of the publication of the said notification on the Bio-Medical Waste (Management and Handling) Rules, 1998 and whereas all objections received were duly considered..
Now, therefore, in exercise of the powers conferred by section 6, 8 and 25 of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 the Central Government hereby notifies the rules for the management and handling of bio-medical waste.
1. SHORT, TITLE AND COMMENCEMENT:
(1) These rules may be called the Bio-Medical Waste (Management and Handling) Rules, 1998.
(2) They shall come into force on the date of their publication in the official Gazette.
These rules apply to all persons who generate, collect, receive, store, transport, treat, dispose, or handle bio medical waste in any form.
3. DEFINITIONS: In these rules unless the context otherwise requires
(1) "Act" means the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 (29 of 1986);
(2) "Animal House" means a place where animals are reared/kept for experiments or testing purposes;
(3) "Authorisation" means permission granted by the prescribed authority for the generation, collection, reception, storage, transportation, treatment, disposal and/or any other form of handling of bio-medical waste in accordance with these rules and any guidelines issued by the Central Government.
(4) "Authorised person" means an occupier or operator authorised by the prescribed authority to generate, collect, receive, store, transport, treat, dispose and/or handle bio-medical waste in accordance with these rules and any guidelines issued by the Central Government;
(5) "Bio-medical waste" means any waste, which is generated during the diagnosis, treatment or immunisation of human beings or animals or in research activities pertaining thereto or in the production or testing of biologicals, and including categories mentioned in Schedule I;
(6) "Biologicals" means any preparation made from organisms or micro-organisms or product of metabolism and biochemical reactions intended for use in the diagnosis, immunisation or the treatment of human beings or animals or in research activities pertaining thereto;
(7) "Bio-medical waste treatment facility" means any facility wherein treatment. disposal of bio-medical waste or processes incidental to such treatment or disposal is carried out;
(8) "Occupier" in relation to any institution generating bio-medical waste, which includes a hospital, nursing home, clinic dispensary, veterinary institution, animal house, pathological laboratory, blood bank by whatever name called, means a person who has control over that institution and/or its premises;
(9) "Operator of a bio-medical waste facility" means a person who owns or controls or operates a facility for the collection, reception, storage, transport, treatment, disposal or any other form of handling of bio-medical waste;
(10) "Schedule" means schedule appended to these rules;