home remedies for dark underarms / dark armpits
Dark underarms / dark armpits refers to the dark underarm portion of the skin that tends to be darker in color when compared with the rest of the body. It occurs in both men and women, but normally women tend to become more worried of having dark underarms as it spoils their chances of wearing sleeveless tops or dresses during summer season. But you need not worry about it now, as there are home remedies that can help you get rid of embarrassing dark underarms.
Common Causes of Dark Underarms / Dark Armpits
Having dark underarms/ dark armpits is not a disease or medical condition to worry about. This is caused due to the following reasons-
• Dark colored clothes: Wearing of dark colored clothes on daily basis tends to create friction between the underarms and the cloth material that leads to darkened underarms. Try out loose fitting clothes or material that ease your underarms to get enough air.
• Excessive use of hair removal creams: Hair removal creams cause discoloration of skin that leads to darkened armpits.
• Using of deodorants and perfumes: Excessive usage of deodorants or perfumes directly on your skin tends to darken your underarms due to some chemicals present in them.
• Shaving of underarms: Shaving is the major cause of dark underarms as it only cuts off the hair at the surface of the skin. This leads to thickening of the hair which increases skin pigmentation and darkens the area.
• Hereditary factors: Hereditary factors can also cause dark underarms as it may be due to excessive overweight or hormonal factors that lead to pigmentation and darkening of the skin.
• Excessive sweating: Excessive sweating leads to skin darkening as the bacteria present in the skin of the underarms are trapped resulting in darkening of the skin.
Home Remedies for Dark Underarms / Dark Armpits
Here are some home remedies you can practice in your daily routine to get rid of dark underarms.
• Lemon is known as a natural cleanser that helps to get rid of dark underarms. Rub a slice of lemon on your underarms before taking bath and keep it for 20-30 minutes daily which will slowly lighten the dark area of the skin. Apply some moisturizer to soften the skin instead of deodorants, for a few days.
• Potato is also known as a bleaching agent, which helps in lightening the dark area of the skin. Slice a thin piece of potato or just grate the potato and apply the juice to the dark area of the skin, leave it for 15-20 minutes and wash it off with cold water.
• Coconut oil can be used to lighten the armpit. You can simply rub a small amount of coconut oil everyday on the darkened area.
• Make a mixture of rose water and pure sandalwood powder to form a paste and apply it in the underarms, leave for 20-30 minutes and wash it off with cold water. This helps to prevent body odor and whiten the dark area of the skin.
• You can also try making a mixture of lemon and cucumber juice, with a pinch of turmeric powder in the form of paste and apply on the dark underarms.
• Baking soda acts as a natural skin scrubbing that helps to lighten the dark underarms. Mix baking soda with a little bit of water and apply frequently on a regular basis to help reduce the discoloration of the underarms.
• Orange peel can be used to lighten the skin tone of your dark underarms. Keep the orange peel for a few days till it gets dried up. Grind the orange peel till it turns into a powder and mix it with a bit of rose water and milk. Apply the paste gently on the dark underarms and leave it for 10-15 minutes. Finally wash it with cold water to remove the dead cells.
• Gram flour is another ingredient that can be used as whitening pack to get rid of dark underarms. You can easily make the pack by using a handful of gram flour, yogurt, lemon and a bit of turmeric powder. Mix all these ingredients well till it forms a thick paste. Once it is done you can store it in the refrigerator and apply some of the paste on the underarms daily, leave it for 20-30 minutes, and wash it off with warm water.
• Vinegar also helps to get rid of dark underarms. Make a mixture of rice flour with vinegar to form a paste. After taking a shower, apply the paste in your underarms, leave it for 10-15 minutes and wash it off with warm water. This remedy will not only lighten the skin tone but also kills the germs present on the dead cells that cause the underarms to stink.
• Waxing is another way to get rid of dark underarms. Here is a simple home remedy you can try for waxing:
Take 2 cups of sugar, ¼ cup of lemon juice, ¼ cup of water and ¼ cup of honey.
Take a saucepan and boil all these ingredients together.
Stir the mixture well till it turns a deep brown.
Now remove the saucepan and allow the mixture to cool down.
Once it gets cooled, you can start using it for waxing.