helps in deciding your body structure and is involved in cell division for growth, reproduction and healing.
2. Human body contains around 100,000 different proteins made by the different combinations of 20 amino acids
. Approximately 18-20% of the body weight is due to proteins.
3. The lifespan of proteins is only two days or less.
4. Hair and nail are made up of a protein called keratin and these have sulphur bonds. Curlier the hair the more sulphur links they have.
5. Protein provides about 10 to 35 percent of calories
needed everyday. Each gram of protein provides 4 calories.
6. Plant proteins lack some of the essential amino acids but they may be healthier than animal based protein as they contain less fat, no cholesterol and plenty of dietary fibre.
, a grain-like crop contains all nine essential amino acids making it a good source of complete protein.
8. Protein must be taken in your diet every day as it is continuously broken down and gets replaced. Human body cannot store protein like it stores carbohydrates and fats.
9. High protein diet helps you lose weight. Protein rich foods
make you feel fuller for a long time and hence you eat less. Besides this, the amount of energy required to digest protein is more, hence more calories are burnt. This is the reason behind weight loss
. Do remember that very high-protein intake has other health complications.
10. Worried about hair fall? Your hair is mostly made of proteins. They are continuously in the process of growing for 2-3 years after which they fall and get replaced by new hair. Protein plays a key role during the growth phase. Hence, protein deficiency may cause more hair fall. Eat protein rich foods to prevent hair fall