is one of the most important necessities in our life like diet and exercise. Sleep disorders are changes in sleeping patterns that interfere with physical, mental, and emotional functioning. It can affect your overall health and quality of life. Signs and symptoms of sleep disorders include difficulty sleeping, abnormal sleep behaviours, excessive daytime sleepiness and irregular breathing or increased movement during sleep. There are varieties of sleeping disorder; Insomnia
are common disorders.
Key Facts on Sleep Disorder
1. Approximately 40 million Americans suffer from sleep disorders
2. The National Institutes of Health recommends at least 10 hours of sleep
daily for school-age children, 9-10 hours for teens, and 7-8 hours for adults.
3. Sleep apnea
is a serious sleep disorder, where the patient may stop breathing temporarily while sleeping. Being over weight is main reason for sleep apnea. Over 18 million Americans have sleep apnea.
4. Sleeping too little contribute to the development of diabetes
5. Sleeping well at night may prevent Alzheimer’s disease
6. Research has shown that insufficient and interrupted sleep leads to hypertension
, cardiovascular disease, depression, obesity and diabetes.
7. Shift workers, who do not sleep regular hours, are at increased risk for several chronic illnesses such as cardiovascular and gastrointestinal
8. Too much caffeine in tea and coffee
, especially taken during the later hours of the day, prevents you sleeping well.
9. Women are more likely to have difficulty falling and staying asleep than men, which could be due to hormonal effects.
10. Staying awake for seventeen hours at a stretch leads to a decrease in performance equivalent to that caused by a blood alcohol level
11. Research found that insufficient sleep (less than 6 hours) is associated with 12% increased risk of death.
12. Exercising and maintaining healthy diet
regularly can help to fall asleep easier and sleep sounder.