Stroke - Top Ten Facts
- • Stroke is the third most common cause of death, after cancer and ischemic heart disease.
- • It is also the most prominent cause of physical deformity
- • Stroke has a yearly incidence of 180-300 per 100,000, in the United States.
- • Its incidence is accelerating in developing countries due to unhealthy lifestyles.
- • 2/3 of stroke victims are above 60 years old.
- • 1/5 of the victims die within a month of its occurrence. Half the survivors become physically deformed.
- • A damage in the left side of the brain may result in paralysis of the right side of the body; a damage on the right side, paralyzes the left side.
- • Hypertension accounts for 30-50% of stroke risk.
- • Patients with diabetes mellitus are 2-3 times more predisposed to stroke.
- • Stroke can occur due to a disruption in blood supply or due to a blood vessel damage.
You May Also Like