Alarming Facts about Road Traffic Accidents (RTAs)
2. 1.2 million people die every year due to Road Traffic Accidents (RTA).
3. Every day, 3300 deaths and 6600 serious injuries occur on the road in the world.
4. Approximately 850,000 deaths occur in those who are under 45 years of age in developing countries and are the sole bread-winners for their families.
5. Road Traffic Accidents cause injury to about 50 million people in the world.
6. Every tenth bed in the hospital is occupied by an accident victim.
7. The average cost of RTA in developing countries is estimated at 65 billion dollars.
8. Trauma related death occurs in India every 1.9 minutes.
9. About 120,000 people die on the road in India every year and a majority of them are pedestrians.
10. 1.27 million people in India sustain serious injuries due to RTA.
11. Although India has only 1% of the world’s motor vehicles, it accounts for 6% of the total global RTA deaths.
12. The cost of these accidents and death is Rs.550 crores or 12.5 billion dollars every year.
13. A majority of major accident survivors are either confined to the bed or wheel chair bound for the rest of their lives due to brain injury or spinal cord injury.
14. Alcohol intoxication causing RTA is present in 15-20% of all traffic accidents.
15. The best chance of survival for a serious RTA victim is, if they are brought into the casualty department within the first hour of trauma or the so called Golden hour.
Madan VS, Road Traffic Accidents: Emerging Epidemic, Indian Journal of Neurotrauma (IJNT1) 2006, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 1-3