Percentage of Suicides in India - 2012

Email Print This Page bookmark
Font : A-A+

Suicide is derived from a Latin word suicidum, which means 'to kill oneself'.

According to National Crime Records Bureau (NCBR) report, more than one lakh people in India have committed suicide during the year 2012. Every year an increase in the percentage of suicide cases was reported. Reasons for suicide include family problems, unemployment, exam failure and poverty.

Tamil Nadu tops the list of suicide death (16,927) accounting for 12.5%, followed by Maharastra (16,112), West Bengal (14,957) Andhra Pradesh (14,238) and Karnataka (12,753) accounting for 11.9%, 11%, 10.5% and 9.4% respectively. All the 5 states together accounted for 55.3% of the total suicide reported in India. The remaining 44.7% suicides were reported in the rest of 23 States and 7 Union Terriorities. The most populous state Uttar Pradesh has reported a lower percentage of suicidal deaths.

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement
Find a Doctor