ULURU Inc. Announces Poster Presentation on the Use of Altrazeal(TM) in Home Care
ADDISON, Texas, Oct. 22 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- ULURU Inc. (NYSE Alternext: ULU) today announced that a poster highlighting the benefits of using Altrazeal™ in the home care market segment will be among the Altrazeal™ posters being presented at the 24th Annual "Clinical Symposium on Advances in Skin and Wound Care" in San Antonio, Texas from October 22-25.
The poster, presented by Bobbie Spitz, R.N., M.S.N., CWS, from Aurora Home Health visiting nurse association of Wisconsin, is entitled "Patient Selection for the Use of a Novel Powder Dressing in Home Care." One important objective of home care wound specialists is to find products that will decrease healing time, nursing visits, pain of dressing changes and allow for patients to be discharged with simple wound care procedures.
The purpose of this home care clinical evaluation was to develop and test techniques to aid home care clinicians in selecting and assessing patients with wounds that would benefit from treatment with Altrazeal™. The clinical evaluation focused on:
- Describing criteria for selecting home care patients
- Describing assessment criteria for determining wound progress
- Identifying patient care and financial benefits of Altrazeal™
The poster details the performance of Altrazeal™ in seven patients:
- Five patients in their mid 80's to early 90's with lower extremity trauma wounds which had, with prior treatment, healed to a small dimension and then remained in stasis. These patients were receiving 2-3 skilled nursing visits a week for wound care. In each case through the use of Altrazeal™ the wound was resolved in 3-5 skilled nursing visits. Cost savings were demonstrated by a reduction in the number of products used and nursing visits needed for home care. Also, there was a high level of patient satisfaction.
- An 18 year old with a pressure ulcer whose wound had a slow healing progression after months of negative pressure wound therapy. With Altrazeal™ being applied twice weekly the wound decreased in dimension over 5 weeks. Skilled nursing visits were reduced from 2-3 times weekly to once per week.
- An 89 year old with a large surgical wound present for 3 years who was receiving daily wound care treatment. After treatment with Altrazeal™ there was a significant decrease in size of the wound. Skilled nursing visits were decreased from three to one weekly visit and there was a significant decrease in self care and increase in patient satisfaction.
Commenting on the results of this clinical evaluation, Bobbie Spitz stated, "This product allows for a cost efficient way to promote moist wound healing in home care that also provides patient satisfaction. With the appropriate selection of patients, Altrazeal™ can achieve the goals of decreased healing time, reduced nursing visits and increasing patient satisfaction."
Altrazeal™, a transforming powder dressing which is produced using our patented Nanoflex™ Technology, is suitable for exuding wounds such as burns, abrasions, trauma, skin graft donor sites, surgical wounds and chronic slow-healing wounds such as diabetic foot ulcers, pressure ulcers and venous ulcers. Altrazeal™ is an innovative breakthrough, designed for greater effectiveness in wound closure by promoting an optimal moist wound healing environment, reducing pain and enhancing patient comfort, ease of application and removal and, in most cases, not requiring a secondary dressing.
Renaat Van den Hooff, President and CEO of ULURU Inc. further commented, "These are very important findings which confirm results achieved in other wound care settings. This clinical evaluation is very compelling and helps provide the necessary support to commence expansion of sales activities in this important market segment."
The 24th Annual "Clinical Symposium on Advances in Skin and Wound Care" will be held on October 22-25, 2009 at the Grand Hyatt San Antonio and the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center in San Antonio, Texas. For more information about the conference can be found at www.symposiumonwoundcare.com.
About ULURU Inc.:
ULURU Inc. is a specialty pharmaceutical company focused on the development of a portfolio of wound management and oral care products to provide patients and consumers improved clinical outcomes through controlled delivery utilizing its innovative Nanoflex™ Aggregate technology and OraDisc™ transmucosal delivery system. For further information about ULURU Inc., please visit our website at www.uluruinc.com. For further information about Altrazeal™, please visit www.Altrazeal.com.
This press release contains certain statements that are forward-looking within the meaning of Section 27a of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, including but not limited to statements made relating to the benefits, effectiveness, success in wound healing, clinical outcomes, and suitability of Altrazeal™, pharmacoeconomic benefits and the success of our clinical efforts. These statements are subject to numerous risks and uncertainties, including but not limited to the risk factors detailed in the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2008, and other reports filed by us with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
SOURCE ULURU Inc.