Turmeric: The Rising Star Of Your Spice Cabinet
HUNT VALLEY, Md., Sept. 20, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- From celebrities to co-workers and friends, everyone is talkin' turmeric. Why? Scientific evidence has been building around the potential health benefits, including anti-inflammatory properties, of curcumin, a compound in turmeric. The McCormick Kitchens have created easy tips and recipes to take turmeric beyond curries, and add it to everything from popular golden milk to smoothies and baked honey mustard chicken.
"Turmeric is really easy to sprinkle on, or stir into, almost any dish throughout the day," said McCormick Corporate Dietitian and cookbook author Dr. Wendy Bazilian, who developed these recipes with the McCormick Kitchens. "I like to balance its earthy flavor profile with other spices and herbs. Try pairing turmeric with honey and pumpkin pie spice in a warm golden milk or sprinkle it on roasted sweet potato wedges along with black pepper and a pinch of salt."
- Smoothies: Take everything you love about autumn and put it in a blender. Try a Pumpkin Apple Smoothie using pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup and turmeric.
- Avocado toast: Add a squeeze of lemon and a few dashes of turmeric to mashed avocado, then sprinkle crushed red pepper on top for a tasty breakfast or snack.
- Warm muffins: Stir 1 to 2 teaspoons of turmeric into pumpkin, zucchini or banana muffin batter, either a homemade version or packaged mix.
- Eggs: Whisk turmeric into scrambled eggs or frittatas, or blend into the yolk mixture for deviled eggs at weekend brunch.
- Golden milk: Combine coconut milk, turmeric, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice to make the 'it' pick-me-up beverage: Golden Turmeric Milk. Also enjoy as a warm and comforting drink at the end of the day.
- Salad dressing: Include turmeric in a simple homemade dressing for a kick of sweet, tangy flavor atop salads and grain bowls. Try this five minute Turmeric Vinaigrette made with apple cider vinegar, ginger and shallots.
- Veggie dip: Mix turmeric, sea salt, cinnamon and lemon juice with low-fat yogurt for a tasty Creamy Turmeric Dip that's ready in just five minutes. Pack with vegetables and pita chips and take to work for a midafternoon snack.
- Chicken and tuna salad: Add a pinch of turmeric and chopped apple or sliced grapes to classic chicken or tuna salad.
Golden Spiced Supper
- Chicken: Stir turmeric into your favorite chicken marinade for an easy weeknight meal. Or, try Honey Mustard Turmeric Chicken, which uses honey, Dijon mustard, turmeric and thyme.
- Grain bowls: Add about 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric per 2 cups cooked rice. Try it with whole grains like wild rice, quinoa, couscous and farro, then add texture with toasted sliced almonds, shredded carrots, peas and/or raisins.
- Soup: Stir turmeric into a tablespoon of low-fat plain or Greek-style yogurt and swirl into warm soups like lentil, tomato or split pea. Or, try this fall favorite, Creamy Coconut Butternut Squash Soup.
- Orange Sides: Turmeric pairs well with orange foods like sweet potatoes, butternut and acorn squash, pumpkin and carrots. Try dusting on sweet potato wedges with sea salt and black pepper before roasting.
- Sauces: Add a sprinkle or two of turmeric to your favorite jarred marinara or spaghetti sauce.
For more turmeric tips and recipes, visit McCormick.com. Also, check us out on Pinterest and Facebook.
To download food photography, visit the digital press room at www.McCormick.com/Press-Room.
About McCormickMcCormick & Company, Incorporated is a global leader in flavor. With $4.3 billion in annual sales, the company manufactures, markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavorful products to the entire food industry – retail outlets, food manufacturers and foodservice businesses. Every day, no matter where or what you eat, you can enjoy food flavored by McCormick. McCormick Brings Passion to Flavor™. For more information, visit www.mccormickcorporation.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/turmeric-the-rising-star-of-your-spice-cabinet-300330951.html
SOURCE McCormick & Company, Incorporated