TLC.com and the Makers of First Response® Announce a Second Season of 'A Conception Story: Six Journeys To Pregnancy'
NEW YORK, May 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- TLC.com, dedicated to sharing the extraordinary experiences of family, and the First Response® brand, a pioneer in women's health with a portfolio of fertility, ovulation and pregnancy at-home test kits, have joined forces for a second season of A Conception Story: Six Journeys To Pregnancy. The custom created short-form web series is produced and created by TLC.com, Discovery Digital Media, Church & Dwight, Co., Inc., the makers of First Response® in conjunction with Maxus Communications. Featuring an all-new cast of six very different couples on the road to conception, season two will turn the cameras on the male partners as well as the women to offer viewers a different perspective and an intimate look at the highs and lows couples face when trying to conceive.
(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20110506/PH96876 )
The award-winning series premieres today and will continue for the next eight months. Through video journals, the couples will tackle issues from the deciding factors in choosing to get pregnant to the emotional and physical turmoil as difficulties arise. The video diaries will then be produced and edited to one compelling short-form webisode per week.
"The first season of A Conception Story was a huge success and resonated with a lot of women and men experiencing similar situations in their own lives," said Kelly Day, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Discovery Digital Media and Commerce. "Embarking on a second season of this ground-breaking series, TLC.com is proud to once again partner with First Response® to reinforce our shared commitment to celebrating life and the needs of women and their families."
TLC.com experienced unprecedented growth last year due in part to the success of A Conception Story, drawing over 350,000 page views to A Conception Story's homepage. Visitors watched more than 150,000 full episodes of the series, generating comparable video engagement to some of TLC's top shows.
"First Response® is a trusted resource for women throughout their journey to pregnancy," said Stacey Feldman, Vice President Marketing, Women's Health and Personal Care Business at Church & Dwight, Co., Inc. "We truly value our continued partnership with Discovery Digital Media and TLC.com because A Conception Story helps us educate couples about the conception process while also providing a compelling look into the real-life emotions that women and men face as they look to build their families."
This year's cast features a diverse group of women and men from all across the U.S. whose lives parallel through the journey to pregnancy. Cast through Discovery's network of mom bloggers, talent resource center and TLC.com fan base, the couples featured in this season include:
- Bari and Chad (Radford, Va.) – Parents to an 18-month-old deaf daughter, Bari is a 32-year-old stay-at-home mom and Chad is a 31-year-old athletic director. Bari discloses, "We have a 25% chance of having another deaf child, but we feel so lucky to have our daughter and would welcome another deaf child – though a hearing child would be exciting too!"
- Vicki and Tom (Levittown, Pa.) – Vicki is a 37-year-old nurse and Tom a 38-year-old teacher who are parents to six children. Having recently undergone gastric bypass surgery herself and awaiting her husband's vasectomy reversal, Vicki admits, "The road to conception could be a long and bumpy one but nothing we do is ever boring!"
- Teresa and Jason (Fort Benning, Ga.) – Teresa is a 27-year-old military volunteer and Jason, her husband of four years, is a 27-year-old Drill Sergeant. Both are ready for their first child. Trying to conceive for over two years, Teresa says, "The only thing missing is our own child that we can give a piece of the love that we share to."
- Lisa and Matt (Wilton Manors, Fla.) – Lisa and Matt are 25-year-old newlyweds who have faced several financial setbacks over the past few years. Anxiously waiting for when the time is right, Lisa says, "To be able to bring a child into our life would make us complete."
- Becky and Steve (Celina, Ohio) – Becky is a 26-year-old teacher and Steve is a 26-year-old state trooper/former Iraq War veteran. Recently diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome, Becky admits, "I wasn't too concerned at first but after doing three rounds of clomid, 1 round of injectables and 3 IUI's I am now becoming worried and very frustrated!"
- Sophia and Kyle (Port Orchard, Wash.) – Sophia is a 23-year-old stay-at-home mom to a 2-year-old son and Kyle is a 24-year-old marine pipefitter. Ready to expand their family, Sophia divulges, "I'm nervous how much harder it might be at first having double the work it takes to care for a child, but I am ready for the challenge."
In addition to the weekly webisodes, A Conception Story will offer a variety of resources for viewers looking for information as they embark on their own journeys to conception, including:
- A robust community featuring forums, resources and information to foster support for women and men trying to conceive;
- Weekly blog entries to promote mentorship and enable the couples to comment on one another's experiences;
- Expert advice through an online Q&A with Dr. Mary Jane Minkin, board-certified obstetrician/ gynecologist and Clinical Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Yale University School of Medicine, that will highlight common experiences and answers to a wealth of pregnancy and fertility-related questions.
ABOUT DISCOVERY COMMUNICATIONS
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the world's #1 nonfiction media company reaching more than 1.5 billion cumulative subscribers in 210 countries and territories. Discovery is dedicated to satisfying curiosity through 130-plus worldwide television networks, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Science and Investigation Discovery, as well as US joint venture networks OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, The Hub and 3net, the first 24-hour 3D network. Discovery also is a leading provider of educational products and services to schools and owns and operates a diversified portfolio of digital media services, including HowStuffWorks.com. For more information, please visit www.discoverycommunications.com.
ABOUT FIRST RESPONSE® PRODUCTS
For over 25 years, the makers of First Response® have been a pioneer in women's health with a portfolio of innovative pregnancy, ovulation and fertility at-home test kits. FIRST RESPONSE® Early Result Pregnancy Test is the earliest at-home test on the market and detects the pregnancy hormone hCG earlier than ever before. To help women get pregnant sooner* there is the FIRST RESPONSE® Digital Daily Ovulation Test to determine their best time to try to get pregnant and FIRST RESPONSE® Fertility Test for Women to help determine a women's ability to get pregnant by testing for FSH levels.
ABOUT CHURCH AND DWIGHT CO., INC
Church & Dwight Co., Inc. manufactures and markets a wide range of personal care, household and specialty products, under the Arm & Hammer brand name and other well-known trademarks.
*Based on directions for use
SOURCE Discovery Communications