BERKELEY, Calif., April 12, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Constellate is the theme for this year's TEDxBerkeley, which will
be held at Zellerbach Hall in Berkeley, CA
on April 15
. The event will constellate thousands of unheard voices, uncovered perspectives and unexpected stories through 18 riveting speakers and performers who will share their visionary outlooks with over 1,500 entrepreneurs, thought leaders, academics, students and more.
The idea behind the theme is that while single ideas can shine brightly on their own, constellating ideas creates a broader perspective and a more beautiful image of the world.
Now in its 8th year, this prestigious TEDx event will tackle a myriad of disciplines that impact our world, from science, medicine, education and the environment to space, diversity, the arts and beyond. TEDxBerkeley strives to shift global conversations in a way that makes the world a better place, central and core to TED's mission. Tickets for TEDxBerkeley 2017 are on sale until they sell out at http://www.tedxberkeley.org where people can also tune in via a live stream starting at 10 am PDT/1 pm EDT on April 15. You can participate in the conversation on social media by using #TEDxBerkeley on Twitter, Facebook and other popular social networks.
This year's line-up includes:
- Ming Dang: As an advocate on Human Trafficking, Dang was one of 15 AAPI Women named a Champion of Change by President Obama.
- Mike Duffy: As founder of the Happiness Hall of Fame, Duffy has been researching happiness for over 30 years and is the author of several books and guides.
- Loretta Falcone: As a NASA groomed scientist, her story to solve a serious health mystery for her son breaks free from entrenched expertise and gives us a new way to look at medicine, life and beyond.
- Jessica Hansen: As Kiva's Global Engagement and Education Manager, Hansen's work focuses on protecting and empowering refugee women and girls.
- Damien Horne: After a stint being homeless, Horne has opened up for or sang alongside Faith Hill, Keith Urban, John Legend and others and speaks out about human trafficking, prison ministry, homelessness and youth.
- Fuji Lai: As a visioneer, robot creator and bioroboticist, Lai is revolutionizing the patient and human experience through augmenting human capabilities, to improve healthcare access and the quality of care.
- Anna Lappe: An internationally recognized expert on food systems and an author of 3 books, Lappe works with philanthropists to help fund better health, justice and sustainability across the food chain.
- Mayra Lozano: As an undocumented student at UC Berkeley and activist, she is a first generation low-income student who performed an original monologue in the largest production of Vagina Monologues.
- Brian Malow: Known as a science comedian, he has performed for NASA, NSF, AAAS, NIST, ACS, Apple and others and has appeared on the Late Late Show and NPR's Science Friday.
- Vivienne Ming: Ming's work as a theoretical neuroscientist and technologist focuses on machine learning and cognitive neuroscience to maximize students' life outcomes.
- Francois Reyes: Following the Paris'
Charlie Hebdo terrorist attacks, Reyes created Citizens Awakening, a global NGO to counter extremism and be a force against terrorism worldwide.
- Mike Roberts: As a Computer Graphics Robotics Researcher, his work uses drones to support human creativity and his joint work with the Harvard Center for Brain Science has been featured worldwide.
- Dr. Andres Roemer: Roemer is the curator and co-founder of the International Festival of Bright Minds and an author of 16 books on freedom, gender and equality.
- Tai Tran: Named the youngest Forbes 30 under 30 and a LinkedIn top voice in marketing and advertising, Tran is followed by over 100,000 marketers and executives around the world.
- Lynne Twist: As founder of Soul of Money Institute, she is a recognized global visionary committed to alleviating poverty and hunger, supporting social justice and environmental sustainability.
- TEDxBerkeley Orchestra: The group will premiere excerpts from the son of Cambodian refugees Darin Chhing, which is dedicated to terror attacks, the Syrian refugee crisis and adversity challenges in our world.
- Esther Wojcicki: Wojcicki is founder of the Palo Alto High School Media Arts Program, which has become one of the largest and most distinguished scholastic media programs in the nation today.
- Cal Wushu: The original wushu club of UC Berkeley, Wushu is the modern adaptation of traditional Chinese martial arts that incorporates athleticism and acrobatics into their performances.
This year's partners and sponsors include Bruce Cost, Ginger Ale Unfiltered, Imperfect Produce, Noosa Finest Yoghurt, GT's Kombucha, Guayaki Yerba Mate, Patagonia Provisions, Regrained, Positive Energy Drinks, Peet's Coffee, Victor Hugo Winery and Fast Imaging.
Behind The Scenes:
Leilani Gutierrez-Palominos, Curator and UC Berkeley student, aspires to become a doctor with a desire of working alongside underserved populations, R. Jennifer Barr is co-curator and a digital marketing and strategy consultant for technology companies and Renee Blodgett is co-curator & founder of Magic Sauce Media, a marketing consultancy for technology and lifestyle brands and We Blog the World, a site dedicated to transformative travel.
About TED and TEDx:
TED, which stands for Technology, Entertainment and Design, is an annual event where the world's leading thinkers and doers are invited to share what they are most passionate about across subject areas that are collectively shaping our future. In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program, independent from TED, of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience and TEDxBerkeley, a 501c3, is now in its sixth year. For more information, visit: www.tedxberkeley.org and on Twitter @tedxberkeley.
Media Contact:Renee Blodgett | Magic Sauce Media617.620.9664renee at magicsaucemedia dot com@magicsaucemedia | @luxuryfoodies | @weblogtheworld
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/tedxberkeleys-2017-event-will-constellate-thousands-of-unheard-voices-300438502.html