Six Treatment Options for Horses with Colic
PINEHURST, N.C., Sept. 27, 2016 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Assisi Animal Health developed and produced the Assisi Loop®, which is an effective non-pharmaceutical anti-inflammatory device (NPAID®) that works as a PEMF therapy for animals. The Loop helps heal wounds and relieve pain in horses, dogs, and cats. The company shares six treatment options for horses suffering with colic.
Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160922/411061
Colic in horses refers to any abdominal pain or issues with the horse's gastro-intestinal tract, and falls under two categories: spasmatic or impaction. Symptoms can include pawing at the ground, looking at its flank, wanting to lie down, rolling, anxiety, depression, loss of appetite, excessive sweating, playing with its water without drinking it, sporadic gut pain, and no fecal production. Once the horse owner knows which form of colic his or her horse has, the following are different treatment options the veterinarian and horse owner can implement.
- Walking the horse relieves anxiety and also helps prevent the horse from rolling, which may twist the intestine. It can also resolve the buildup of pressure in the abdomen and improve the health of the digestive tract.
- Deworming the horse helps to decrease the damage parasites have caused.
- Mineral oil or laxatives can be given to remove an impaction, help the horse defecate, and perhaps restore normal digestive functions.
- A nasogastric tube can be used reducing the amount of gas pressure in the horse's gut. If the horse is in shock, IV fluids may need to be administered.
- When colic is caused by a twisting of the horse's bowels, surgery is necessary, as the horse will be in a great deal of pain and have zero desire to eat or drink.
- Psyllium can be fed to the horse. The vet can recommend the proper amount for a specific horse. This helps remove unwanted sands, indigestible roughage, and toxins by acting as a sponge to remove these items from the horse's digestive tract.
Assisi Animal Health's clinical solutions complete the Circle of Care® — the collaboration of veterinarians and owners in animal health and healing. Our company helps veterinary professionals and owners improve the quality of life for companion animals using the Assisi Loop, the non-invasive, non-pharmaceutical healing device that is based on the same FDA-cleared technology used on humans. The device uses low-level pulses of electromagnetic energy to reduce pain and swelling, and to enhance recovery.
Media Contact: Kaysie Dannemiller, Assisi Animal Health, 8668307342, email@example.com
News distributed by PR Newswire iReach: https://ireach.prnewswire.com
SOURCE Assisi Animal Health