Retina Implant AG and Okuvision to Present Patient Perspectives and Clinical Data at the Retina International World Congress 2016
TAIPEI, Taiwan, July 9, 2016 /PRNewswire/ --
Retina Implant will be presenting the scientific rationale as well as having a patient offering their perspective of the device in practice.
Retina Implant AG, the leading developer of subretinal implants for patients blinded by retinitis pigmentosa (RP), announced today that they will be presenting new data, and having a patient with the company's CE-marked Alpha AMS® device discussing his experience of living with the subretinal implant, at the Retina International World Congress (RIWC) 2016 on 9-10 July in Taipei, Taiwan.
The parallel session, entitled "Updates on Retina Implant Alpha", will be held in room 101A and 101B on Saturday 9 July and moderated by Prof. Caroline Chee, Head of Surgical Retina at the National University Hospital, Singapore. It includes:
- "Scientific Rationale of Retina Implant," presented by Prof. Dr. Eberhart Zrenner, professor of Ophthalmology, University of Tübingen, Germany and founder of Retina Implant AG. Prof. Zrenner's presentation will take place from 16.00-16.30 p.m.
- "Implantation of Retina Implant Alpha," presented by PD Dr. Sachs, Retina Implant's senior consultant and head of the Department of Ophthalmology, Clinic Dresden-Friedrichstadt, Germany. The presentation will be between 16.30-17.00 p.m.
- "My witness: Living with Retina Implant Alpha," is a patient presentation led by Mr. Peter Böhm, who will be discussing his personal experience with the implant. This will be presented from 17.00-17.30 p.m.
The Alpha AMS subretinal implant (CE-marked March 2016) is the next generation of the Alpha IMS (CE marked in 2013).
Okuvision will also be presenting at the congress. Their session, held on 10 July in room 101A and 101B, is entitled "Transcorneal Electrical Stimulation OKUVISION". The session will be moderated by Reinhard Rubow, CEO of Okuvision and Board Member of Retina Implant, and includes:
- "Scientific Rationale of Transcorneal Electrical Stimulation (TES)," presented by Prof. Dr. Eberhart Zrenner, professor of Ophthalmology, University of Tübingen, Germany and founder of Retina Implant AG. The presentation will take place between 09.00-09.30 a.m.
- "Installation and operation of TES," will be presented by Dr. Guido Blaess, Product Manager for Okuvision GmbH. Dr Guido's presentation will run from 09.30-10.00 a.m.
- "Results of Clinical Trials," is also to be presented by Prof. Zrenner between 10.00-10.30 a.m.
The OkuStim® device delivers individually adjusted levels of TES under physician guidance, with the goal of slowing the progression of RP-related blindness. Both companies are silver sponsors of the congress.
Speaking of the upcoming presentations, Reinhard Rubow, Board Member of Retina Implant AG said, "We are extremely excited to be presenting at the RIWC this week and are delighted that Mr. Böhm will be attending, giving us an unparalleled opportunity to understand the patient perspective from a current user of our device. We are also very excited to be presenting the results of our OkuStim trial data, which is a new therapy for early and intermediate stage RP patients."
About Retina Implant AG
Retina Implant AG is the leading developer of subretinal implants for partially sighted and blind patients. After extensive research with German university hospitals and institutes which began with a large grant from the German Federal Ministry of Research and Education in 1996, Retina Implant AG was founded by Dr. Eberhart Zrenner, professor of Ophthalmology, University of Tübingen, Germany and his colleagues in 2003 with private investors with the goal of developing a fully-functioning electronic retinal implant to restore useful vision to the blind. Retina Implant began implanting human patients in 2005 and started a second, larger clinical trial in 2010. In July 2013, Retina Implant's wireless subretinal implant technology, Alpha IMS, received CE mark. The Alpha AMS subretinal implant was CE-marked in March 2016. To learn more, visit http://www.retina-implant.de/.
About Okuvision GmbH
Founded by the leaders of Retina Implant AG in 2007, Okuvision GmbH is an innovator in the field of transcorneal electrical stimulation (TES) therapy for patients with early and intermediate stage of retinitis pigmentosa (RP). Building on the lessons learned through the use of Retina Implant's subretinal implant technology, Okuvision was founded with the goal to develop a treatment for RP. In December 2011 OkuStim® received CE mark approval for use as a treatment to help delay the progression of RP. To learn more, please visit: http://www.okuvision.de.
For more information please visit Retina Implant & Okuvision at their booth on site at the RIWC exhibition (-South Foyer B1+2).
MSLGROUP: Sarah Herbert +44(0)20-3219-8708 RetinaImplant@mslgroup.com
Retina Implant AG: Reinhard Rubow +49-7121-36403-100 Reinhard.Rubow@Retina-Implant.de
SOURCE Retina Implant AG