Ovid Announces its First Clinical Tool, OvidMD, Designed for Physicians and Other Clinicians
NEW YORK, May 18, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Ovid, part of Wolters Kluwer Health and a global leader in the delivery of customizable electronic research information for the medical, scientific, and academic markets, is pleased to announce the availability of OvidMD, the first clinical tool from Ovid designed especially for physicians and other clinicians. OvidMD provides quick answers to clinical questions based on relevant full-text content from Ovid. It's the only solution that presents the latest medical research on OvidSP and synoptic content from UpToDate through the same, easy-to-use interface.
"OvidMD puts 'research into practice' by making clinical, evidence-based resources from Ovid much more accessible to physicians," said Karen Abramson, President & CEO of Ovid. "We're pleased to bring to market the only solution that offers the physician access to UpToDate content and Ovid full text resources, including Ovid MEDLINE, in a single interface. By bridging this content, OvidMD offers a clinician the fastest path to trusted clinical research answers to help them improve clinical outcomes."
Designed for and tested by physicians, OvidMD fills a clinical information gap between point-of-care tools and in-depth medical research, when a clinician has between 5-15 minutes of time to find quick, relevant answers in the literature. Verified by research conducted with physicians, OvidMD offers a variety of content that fits into the few minutes that are available when a physician is with a patient, in the time that may be available during a break, or in longer periods that may be available for more extensive research.
OvidMD delivers only clinically-relevant results from a simple search query. Users simply type in what they're looking for and OvidMD will find it.
OvidMD results are pulled from trusted resources that include:
- Ovid MEDLINE® - The premier, comprehensive medical database with seamless and up-to-the-minute access to the latest bibliographic citations and author abstracts from more than 5,500 biomedicine and life sciences journals in nearly 40 languages (60 languages for older journals). English abstracts are included in more than 80% of the records.
- Evidence-based guidelines - A synthesis of best available evidence on diagnosis, management, and treatment of conditions that occur in primary care, inpatient and emergency department settings. The guidelines are written by physicians for physicians, updated quarterly, and recommend a course of action for diagnosis, disease management and drug therapy.
- A package of Lippincott Williams & Wilkins Current Opinion journals, renowned for expert commentary and review articles in major medical specialties, in addition to searching clinically-relevant full text currently subscribed by the institution on OvidSP.
- Drug information - Facts & Comparisons' A-Z Monographs which features dosages, side effects and indications information on drug therapy.
- Patient education - Educational materials for patients from UpToDate and RelayHealth (a division of McKesson®) which physicians can use to help improve care and patient satisfaction. Physicians can add comments and easily print to hand off to the patient providing more information on a specific need of care.
- Practice guidelines from National Clearinghouse Guidelines
- UpToDate content - OvidMD integrates the first 5 paragraphs of UpToDate topic previews; UpToDate subscribers can link to UpToDate to view the full article.
- Search results that include a library's own full-text clinical content and databases.
- Exportable images, medical calculators, and much more.
With a single search, OvidMD uncovers the latest treatment options, evidence-based guidelines, and drug therapies, plus users can download customizable patient handouts, link instantly to full text, review articles, and more. Convenient search tools include auto complete, synonym expansion, drawing on Ovid's proprietary controlled vocabulary lexicon to provide hundreds of thousands of medical synonyms, phrase detection, spelling suggestions, and highlighted search terms. Learn more at www.ovidmd.com.
The addition of OvidMD to the suite of tools offered by Ovid further strengthens its leading position as the point-of-research for medical institutions, hospitals, and healthcare organizations worldwide. As an aggregator of the world's authoritative, peer-reviewed resources from more than 150 information producers, Ovid provides effective research solutions, including OvidMD and its flagship research platform OvidSP, used by physicians, clinicians, students, researchers, and librarians to make important decisions to improve patient care, enhance ongoing research, and fuel new discoveries.
About Ovid and Wolters Kluwer Health
Ovid® is a global information solutions provider offering clinicians, professionals, students, and researchers in the medical, scientific, and academic fields customizable solutions of content, tools, and services that make research smarter, faster, and more effective. Ovid is used by the world's leading colleges and universities; medical schools; academic research libraries and library consortia; hospitals and healthcare systems; pharmaceutical, engineering and biotechnology companies; and HMOs and clinical practices.
Ovid is part of Wolters Kluwer Health, a leading global provider of information, business intelligence and point-of-care solutions for the healthcare industry. Wolters Kluwer Health is part of Wolters Kluwer, a market-leading global information services company with 2010 annual revenues of euro 3.6 billion ($4.7 billion).
SOURCE Wolters Kluwer Health