New, Expanded Health Services Benefit Florida Uninsured
JACKSONVILLE, Fla., July 8 /PRNewswire/ -- According to a new report released by the Center for Disease Control, Florida ranks second in the United States for its high percentage of uninsured residents. More than 19 percent, or 3.5 million people, lacked insurance last year.
The Blue Foundation for a Healthy Florida, the philanthropic affiliate of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida (BCBSF), recently approved grants to Florida health nonprofits to help this vulnerable population.
"Since our founding in 2001, The Blue Foundation's purpose has been to make it possible for more Floridians to access health care, especially those who are uninsured or live in neighborhoods where medical care is scarce or nonexistent," said Susan Towler, vice president, The Blue Foundation. "By doing so, we're striving to carry out BCBSF's promise to advance the health and well-being of all Floridians."
Grant recipients, totals and program areas funded are:
- Baker County Health Department -- $95,790 -- to expand hours of operation for health clinic serving uninsured residents of Baker County
- Bay County Health Department -- $100,000 -- to purchase a mobile dental unit for in-need children living in Bay County
- Crescent of Hernando -- $100,000 -- to expand hours and services for a clinic dedicated to treating uninsured people living in Hernando County
- Dental Care Access Foundation -- $82,100 -- to bring more dental services to uninsured residents in Osceola County
- Institute for Children and Family Health -- $99,242 -- to double the amount of children helped at pediatric mental and behavioral health clinic in Miami-Dade County
- Lotus House Women's Shelter -- $100,000 -- to build an on-site health clinic at a shelter for women and children in Miami-Dade County
- St. Lucie County Health Access Network -- $100,000 -- to help construct, equip and staff the first and only free medical clinic in St. Lucie County
- Volunteers in Medicine Clinic -- $100,000 to enhance access to health services for the working uninsured living in Duval County
This financial support is part of The Blue Foundation's biannual IMPACT (Improving Access to Health Care) grants program.
The Blue Foundation for a Healthy Florida is a separate, philanthropic affiliate of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida (BCBSF), incorporated in the state of Florida. The Blue Foundation for a Healthy Florida, and its parent, BCBSF, are independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, an association of independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies. For more information on The Blue Foundation for a Healthy Florida, please visit its website at www.bluefoundationfl.com.
SOURCE The Blue Foundation for a Healthy Florida