Immunization mobile app to offer new features to help protect Canadians from infectious diseases
ImmunizeCA helps Canadians keep accurate immunization records and make informed decisions about their health
OTTAWA, April 22, 2016 /CNW/ - The Honorable Jane Philpott, Minister of Health, today announced a $3.5 million investment over three years for ImmunizeCA, an innovative mobile app that helps Canadians keep their immunization information close at hand. First launched in 2014, the successful app will be enhanced and expanded in a collaborative project led by researchers from The Ottawa Hospital with support from the Canadian Public Health Association, Immunize Canada and the Better Outcomes Registry and Network at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario. The announcement was made at Ottawa Public Health's main immunization clinic.
The mobile app ImmunizeCA helps Canadians store and manage their families' vaccination records. It provides access to vaccination schedules based on information specific to people's home province or territory, and to reliable, expert-approved information about vaccinations for children, adults and travellers. It also offers useful tools such as appointment reminders and local outbreak notifications.
Phase Two will create a digital platform that will allow for:
- Secure access to information so that all family members can share their records;
- More functions, including a web-based platform (access through a laptop/desktop computer, as well as through a mobile phone);
- Ability to integrate with provincial immunization records;
- Customizable schedules and information for individuals with health conditions, such as children with inflammatory bowel disease; and,
- Catch-up schedules for newcomers to Canada, including refugees.
- The Government of Canada is investing $3.5 million over three years to ImmunizeCA Phase Two. This funding leverages significant resources from other key stakeholders. Support includes hosting data, privacy expertise, pilot projects, providing information geared to newcomers, evaluation and testing.
- Following this three-year phase, it is expected that the project will become self-sufficient.
- Since the launch of Phase One in 2014, ImmunizeCA has been downloaded by more than 140,000 users. The goal of Phase Two is to increase app uptake to 500,000 family accounts.
- The ImmunizeCA app is available for secure, free download at the Apple App Store and Google Play. It can also be accessed online at immunizeca.ca.
Quotes"Immunization is one of the safest and most effective measures in public health and plays a vital role in keeping Canadians and their communities healthy. I am enthused by this app, as ImmunizeCA lets Canadians find the trusted knowledge they need to keep themselves and their families up to date on their vaccinations."The Honourable Jane Philpott, P.C., M.P.Minister of Health
"I would like to thank the Government of Canada for this significant investment in digital infrastructure, which is an investment in the health of Canadian families. Building on the ImmunizeCA app, a solution for everyday Canadians, we believe we can also make the health care system better."Dr. Kumanan Wilson, senior scientist and internal medicine specialist at The Ottawa Hospital and professor at the University of Ottawa
"Putting health information into the hands of citizens is an important part of empowering Canadians to protect themselves, and those they love, from vaccine-preventable diseases. The Canadian Public Health Association is pleased to continue its collaboration on the ImmunizeCA app which is an important tool for all Canadians."Ian CulbertExecutive Director, Canadian Public Health Association
"The ImmunizeCA app is an important tool for every Canadian. It instantly provides access to recommended immunization schedules, and expert-approved information. The continued support for this project is a positive step towards the development of new features that will enable Canadians in tracking their immunizations and accessing reliable information."Dr. Shelly A. McNeil MD FRCPCChair, Immunize Canada
"Phase Two of ImmunizeCA will contribute greatly to the health of mothers, newborns, children and all Canadians. BORN and CHEO are pleased to help Canadian families manage and share their immunization information by providing them with this secure digital platform. Personal data will be protected to the highest standards."Dr. Pranesh ChakrabortyMedical Director, BORN Ontario, Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario
Associated LinksOttawa Hospital Research Institute ImmunizeCAPublic Health Agency of CanadaCanadian Public Health AssociationImmunize Canada
SOURCE Public Health Agency of Canada