Eight Humanitarian Surgeons Who Restore Hope and Confidence: Meet the 2016 RealSelf Fellows
SEATTLE, Oct. 20, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- RealSelf, the leading online community for consumers and doctors to share information about cosmetic treatments, announced today the first eight recipients of the RealSelf Fellowship, which awards funding to physicians and medical professionals who donate their time and expertise to deliver medical care and training in highly underserved communities around the world.
The 2016 RealSelf Fellows will address a wide range of medical needs, primarily focused on providing reconstructive surgery free of charge for children and adults with traumatic injuries and correctable deformities. Their work will be directed toward serving highly vulnerable populations where surgical care is simply not accessible.
Financial grants were awarded to:
- Dr. Frank Agullo, Traveling to Puebla, Mexico with Smile Network International on Nov. 3, 2016
- Dr. Patrick Byrne, traveling to Managua and Chichigalpa, Nicaragua with The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and Aproquen on Feb. 2, 2017
- Dr. Joseph Gruss, traveling to Hanoi, Vietnam with ReSurge International on December 12, 2016
- Dr. Larry Nichter, traveling to Havana, Cuba with the Plasticos Foundation and Stanford University, on Nov. 2, 2016
- Dr. Virender Singhal, traveling to Managua, Nicaragua with ReSurge International on March 27, 2017
- Dr. Kristin Stueber, traveling to Guayaquil, Ecuador with ReSurge International on Jan. 27, 2017
- Dr. Seth Thaller, traveling to Port Au Prince, Haiti with Project Medishare on January 16, 2017
- Dr. Andrew Wexler, traveling to Harare, Zimbabwe with ReSurge International on Feb. 6, 2017
"We're delighted to provide financial support for eight medical humanitarians," said RealSelf Founder and CEO, Tom Seery. "The RealSelf Fellowship is a passion project for our company, and it's an honor for us to play a role in the work of doctors and teams who volunteer time and talent to restore health, change lives and bring confidence to people worldwide."
The fellowship is open to physicians as well as surgical care teams who will volunteer their medical services or serve as volunteer educators to advance the skills of local doctors and staff in a range of medical needs. RealSelf will evaluate applications twice per year. The next phase of applications, for trips taking place after April 1, is open now, with an application deadline of February 1. Medical professionals interested in participating are invited to view eligibility requirements and complete the online application at realself.com/giving/fellowship.
About RealSelfRealSelf is the largest and most trusted online community for consumers to learn and share experiences about elective cosmetic procedures and clinician-administered treatments. More than 9 million people visit RealSelf each month to find out which treatments and providers live up to their promise of being "Worth It." RealSelf is powered by unbiased experiences shared by consumers for hundreds of treatments, ranging from simple skincare to highly considered cosmetic surgery. Offering millions of photos and medical expert answers, RealSelf has become the essential resource and service for those seeking to find the the right doctor or clinic.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/eight-humanitarian-surgeons-who-restore-hope-and-confidence-meet-the-2016-realself-fellows-300348611.html