LOS ANGELES, Oct. 14 Ceremed Inc. announced today that itscollaborative effort with ApaTech Limited, a London based manufacturer ofproducts for bone grafting, has resulted in the launch of ApaTech's latestproduct, Actifuse(TM) Shape, a novel, formable bone grafting solution. Thenew product combines Ceremed's AOC(TM) Biosoluble(TM) polymer with ApaTech'sproprietary Actifuse(TM) microgranules. The resulting product'sbiostimulative properties are optimized by AOC's ability to be molded or cutto the contours of the grafting site.
The synthetic blend of alkylene oxide copolymers in AOC(TM) is watersoluble allowing them to dissolve. The unique properties of the productinclude the dissolution of the product without swelling or inflammation asseen with some implant materials. The dissolved product is then eliminatedfrom the body without further breakdown.
The launch of Actifuse Shape represents the culmination of a two yearcollaborative effort between the companies. The product will be manufacturedin Ceremed's Los Angeles facility and shipped to ApaTech's distribution pointsin the UK and US. Ceremed has licensed the AOC(TM) technology to ApaTechLimited as the first of many projects in which the AOC(TM) technology is usedas a passive carrier for bioactive materials and therapeutic agents. Severalother derivative products related to the AOC(TM) technology are planned forrelease in the coming year. Ceremed currently distributes its Ostene(TM) bonehemostasis product in the United States and Europe.
"Ceremed is committed to the design and development of unique medicalpolymers to enhance the effectiveness of surgical procedures," says TadeuszWellisz, M.D., CEO of Ceremed. "We are actively seeking strategic alliancesthat greatly expand the impact of our products on the medical market.Ceremed's ability to rapidly bring products to market combined with theexpertise in developing unique polymer blends makes us an exceptional partnerfor co-development."
Ceremed, Inc. is a privately held California medical device corporationthat has a unique expertise in the field of medical polymers. The companymaintains an ISO 13485 manufacturing facility in Los Angeles and is a FDAregistered medical device manufacturer. A major focus of the company is thedevelopment of strategic alliances with medical device companies to co-developor license the company's polymer materials. For additional information pleasecontact Tadeusz Wellisz, M.D., at email@example.com or view our website athttp://www.ceremed.com
About AOC(TM) Biosoluble(TM) Polymers
AOC(TM) Polymer (alkylene oxide copolymer material), a soluble implantablematerial with the unique combination of the following key properties:
1) AOC(TM) dissolves and is eliminated from the body unchanged in 24-48hrs without any inflammatory or metabolic process.
2) AOC(TM) is non-inflammatory, unlike currently available resorbablepolymers that must be broken down in order to be eliminated from the body.
3) AOC(TM) does not swell as it dissolves, so that it will not compresssurrounding structures or disperse any particulate material that may beincluded within the implant.
4) AOC(TM) is a malleable material that can be formulated to have avariety of handling characteristics that range in consistency from a softgrease to a hard wax. This makes the polymer ideally suited for a range ofmedical applications.
5) AOC(TM) can be formulated not to contain water, so that it can serve asa carrier for compounds, such as proteins, that are not stable in an aqueoussolution.
SOURCE Ceremed Inc.