Call Center Training Research Survey Ranks Zenith High for Customer Satisfaction
SEATTLE, Oct. 29 -- Based on a national customer satisfaction survey, Zenith Administrators call center service rankings topped all categories, following a six-step training protocol for incoming calls from health benefit member participants with important, and very personal, questions concerning their health benefit claim.
Zenith Administrators manages health and pension plans as a third-party benefits administrator (TPA) serving 600,000 health plan members and 135,000 retiree pensions, managing 4.5 million claims each year.
Zenith retained the services of Linda Chidester, a veteran office systems consultant, to create a TPA-specific training/orientation guide for customer services reps.
“Many callers to Zenith may not fully understand their benefits, which gives them a feeling of vulnerability about a health claim or pension plan,” she said. “The goal of the customer service reps is to provide them with the information they are seeking so they better understand their plans and the benefits they are eligible to receive.”
Ms. Chidester customized training scenarios to reflect specific kinds of calls, and recorded the calls so customer service reps could listen to themselves from the customer’s perspective to review their tone of voice and inflection.
Zenith call center representatives now use six-step protocol for inbound member participant calls:
- Greeting: Opening the call or greeting with the operator’s first name, then professionally stating HIPAA privacy rules, as required by law;
- Understanding: Appropriate use of open and closed questions regarding the request provides reassurance;
- Acknowledging: Confirming to the member-caller that the operator has listened and understands the question;
- Informing: Explaining coverage and steps needed to resolve the question, concern or confusion;
- Managing: A member who is dissatisfied could be using abusive language or may not like what you say, allowing the representative to get them calm enough to listen.
- Closing: Reassuring the member by reiterating what the caller must do and what Zenith will do assures understanding on the part of the caller, reminding them about specific forms or deadlines and to ask if there’s anything else they can assist with.
“Our customer service representatives are the voice of Zenith,” said President/CEO John Corapi. “The customer service training helped to reinforce the ‘soft skills’ that are so important when working with our participants to ensure the person feels valued and his/her needs are met.”
SOURCE Zenith Administrators