Pregnancy Termination is legal in England Wales and Scotland; however there are still guidelines to follow.
Finding out you are pregnant is not a joyous time for all females or in each circumstances.
Here’s what you must know about abortion in the
UK and what all options are open to pregnant females.
Is Pregnancy Termination legal in the UK?
Abortion has been permissible in England Scotland and Wales since 1967 when the Abortion Act was passed.
Healthcare providers in the UK have the right to
reject to sign off on your abortion if they have a moral objection to it; this can regrettably mean requiring seeing more than 2 doctors to get the two signatures.
Religious views impact the law in Northern Ireland where the abortion laws differ. But it is legal to travel from Northern Ireland to the UK to access the abortion.
Majority of women who couldn’t access it in the clinic buy abortion pills online to have a termination from trusted website pharmacies.
What criteria need to be met if you want to proceed with an abortion?
In order to be eligible for an abortion one (or more) of the following situations should be met:
• The continuation of the pregnancy would engage risk to the life of the pregnant female more so than a termination
• That the pregnancy has not exceeded 24 weeks
• There is a considerable risk that if the child is born they would experience physical or mental abnormalities
• That the abortion is essential to avert pregnancy permanent injury to the mental or physical health of the pregnant female
Is it unlawful to abort due to social/financial needs or based on gender?
The law does not state that a physician has to take into consideration a woman’s environment while deciding whether she can legally abort however they may choose to do so.
For instance a female’s economic and social situation may impact on her health if she carries on with the pregnancy.
There have formerly been campaigns to make sex-selective terminations permissible in the UK however it remains unlawful.
How do get an abortion?
• Pregnancy terminations can be accessed either in the clinics or by self-medication at home.
• Females can buy abortion pills to terminate pregnancy that is within 10 weeks of gestational period.
What happens next?
Prior to having a pregnancy termination an appointment to talk about the decision and the details is booked. Normally there are two options:
• A medication termination- you take to medicine 24-48 hours apart to induce a pregnancy cancellation.
• Surgical abortion- you have a minor process to terminate the pregnancy and go home soon after.
What are the possible risks of having an abortion?
Abortions are safest if performed early on in the pregnancy.
Majority of female’s wont experience any issues and having an abortion will not affect future fertility.
There are though risks due to surgical abortion like:
• Excessive bleeding
• Infection of the womb
• Damage to the uterus