Sample Extended Matching Questions
Question: Joint pain
A -Ankylosing spondylitis
B -Erythema nodosum
F -Medial cartilage tear
H -Psoriatic arthropathy
I -Pyrophosphate arthropathy
J -Reactive arthritis
K -Rheumatoid arthritis
For each patient
described below, choose the SINGLE most likely diagnosis from the above list of options. Each option may be used once, more than once, or not at all.
- A 70 year old previously healthy farmer presents with pain
on weight-bearing and restricted movements of the right hip.
- A 73 year old woman with rheumatoid arthritis on immuno-suppressive drugs presents with systemic malaise and fever. She has red, hot, swollen wrists.
- A 66 year old woman started furosemide (frusemide) two weeks ago and now presents with a red, hot, swollen metatarso-phalangeal joint.
- A 22 year old male soldier presents with a two week history of a swollen right knee, conjunctivitis and urethritis.
- A 30 year old man presents with a 10 year history of back pain, worse in the morning, and one episode of iritis.
Sample Single Best Answer Questions
1. A 17 year boy attends the Accident and Emergency Department having been taken ill whilst playing football. He gives a history of sudden onset of left-sided chest pain followed by severe and persistent breathlessness.
What is the SINGLE investigation most likely to provide a definitive diagnosis
A Blood gases
B Chest x-ray
D Electrocardiogram (ECG)
E Pulmonary function tests