How it should be taken
• Take the drug with water.
• Taking the drug after meal is advisable to reduce chances of stomach upset. However, the drug can be taken on an empty stomach.
Dosage & When it is to be taken
• For hypertension: Initial treatment is with 400 mg once a day or 200 mg twice a day. Maintenance dose is 400-800 mg per day.
• For ventricular arrhythmia: Initial therapy is with 200 mg twice a day. Maintenance dose is 600 to 1200 mg per day in divided doses.
When it is not to be taken (Contraindications)
The drug is contraindicated in people with following conditions:
• Heart failure, poor circulation, and low blood pressure.
• Persistent slow heart rate (bradycardia).
• Atrioventricular block (AV block) in the heart.
• Tumor of adrenal gland called as pheochromocytoma.
• Known allergy to the drug.
Why it is prescribed (Indications)
Messages from nerves are transferred to the heart by special chemicals known as neurotransmitters. The neurotransmitters (adrenaline and noradrenaline) bind to tiny areas on the heart known as beta receptors, to convey their message. Acebutolol binds with these beta receptors and does not allow the messages from adrenaline and noradrenaline to reach the heart. As a result, the heart beats slowly and with lesser force. Slow beating of the heart reduces the blood flow in blood vessels and thus reduces the inside pressure on the walls and controls your hypertension. The drug controls abnormally fast and uneven heart rate in the case of cardiac arrhythmia. Since the heart treated with acebutolol beats slowly and with less force, it uses lesser energy and thus chest pain in angina is relieved.
Category B :
Animal reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women OR Animal studies have shown an adverse effect, but adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus in any trimester.
Missed a Dose?
• Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If your next dose is less than 8 hours away, skip the missed dose.
• Never take two doses together.
Warnings and Precautions
• Acebutolol interacts with many drugs. Make sure your doctor knows all the drugs you are taking before starting the treatment with acebutolol.
• Never stop the drug abruptly without consulting your doctor.
Store is a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Keep out of the reach of children.