• Central Nervous System:
• Gastrointestinal: Diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.
• Blood: High concentration of eosinophils, platelet counts in the blood, decrease in white blood cells, low prothrombin levels, bleeding.
• Lab tests: Increase in liver enzyme, elevated BUN (Blood urea, nitrogen).
• Local: Indurations/tightness/warmth.
• Genitourinary: Vaginal inflammation.
• Miscellaneous: Fatal ceftriaxone-calcium precipitates in lung and kidneys of neonates.
Middle ear infection:
IM A single dose of 50 mg/kg (max, 1 gram) is recommended.
Meningitis in children: Children - IV: Recommended initial dose is 100 mg/kg (max, 4 gram), followed by 100 mg/kg/day (max, 4 gram/day) for 7 to 14 days.
Skin or Skin Structure Infections: Children - IV/IM: Recommended daily dosage is 50 to 75 mg/kg once a day or in equally divided doses twice daily (max, 2 gram/day).
Surgical Prophylaxis: Adults - IV: 1 gram as a single dose 30 min to 2 hours before surgery.
Uncomplicated Gonococcal Infections: Adults - IM: 250 mg as single dose.
Miscellaneous Infections: Adults - IV: Usual adult daily dosage is 1 to 2 g once a day or in equally divided doses twice daily, depending on the type and severity of infection (max, 4 gram/day).
Children- IV: Recommended daily dose is 50 to 75 mg/kg IV once a day or in divided doses every 12 h (max, 2 gram/day). IV/IM: Recommended daily dose is 50 to 75 mg/kg IV/IM in divided doses every 12 h (max, 2 gram/day).
Acute Bacterial Otitis Media Persistent/Treatment Failure: Children - IM/IV 50 mg/kg/ IM or IV (not to exceed 1 gram) daily for 3 days.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (mild to moderate): Adults - IM 250 mg given IM as a single dose with doxycycline 100 mg orally twice daily for 14 days, with or without metronidazole 500 mg orally twice daily for 14 days.
Uncomplicated Gonococcal Infections: Adults - IM 125 mg given IM as a single dose.
Typhoid:Adult- IV: 4gm/day for 2 days, followed by 2g/day. Child- 75mg/day for 2 days.
It comes as a solution for injected to be administered intravenously (into a vein) or intramuscularly (into a muscle), by a healthcare provider.
Hypersensitivity to cephalosporins; neonates. Do not use calcium or calcium-containing solutions or products with or within 48 hours of ceftriaxone administration due to risk of calcium-ceftriaxone precipitate formation in neonates.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of penicillin allergy; severe renal impairment; pregnancy and lactation; problem with digestive system, especially colitis (inflammation of the large intestine), malnutrition (you do not eat or cannot digest the nutrients needed for good health), super infection.
• Be sure for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely.
Avoid long-term or repeated use, otherwise it will secondary infection.
Injection: Store below 25°C. Store it at room temperature and keep away from children.